Wroclaw Partynice Racecourse – Poland
Biggest events: Wielka Wroclawska Steeplechase, the Wielka Partynicka Hurdle.
History: Partynice Racecourse, designed by R. Jurgens of Hamburg, was opened in 1907 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Silesian Horse Breeders’ and Horse Racing Association. It replaced a racecourse in Szczytniki (where the Centennial Hall is situated today) which was founded in 1833.
Partynice Racecourse was booming in 1954-56; for example, in 1955 it staged 28 race meetings featuring no less than 226 races. However, prosperity came to an end soon, and in 1961-62 not a single race was run in Wroclaw. But crowds again filled the Partynice grandstand to capacity in 1969 when Wroclaw hosted the Communist Block Countries Meeting. The best Thoroughbreds from Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, GDR, Poland, Hungary, and the Soviet Union took part, and the Polish Thoroughbreds were very successful taking second spot overall.
Another revival of Partynice Racecourse took place in the early 1970’s and had lasted uninterrupted for some twenty years. The pure-bred Arab horses were replaced by half-breds which were raced at Partynice until 2012. Principal races for this breed included the Derby and the Oaks.